This contest will select the official design for the Strange Loop 2009 conference t-shirt and will be produced for sale.
* Neutral shirt color (white, gray, black, natural)
* Design is preferred to be front-only unless you come up with something absurdly clever
* Design should have no more than 2 colors (any color ok)
* Must contain the text "Strange Loop" (any font)
* May contain the logo, "2009", URL "http://thestrangeloop.com", or other aspects of the conference but none of these are required
* Logo is available here: http://thestrangeloop.com/sites/def…iglogo.png
I'm not really looking for your standard boring conference t-shirt, really for something unique and interesting by itself as a shirt. I would like to encourage actual drawings with "strange loop" as a jumping off point as well.
Douglas Hofstadter proposed the notion of a "strange loop" to mean the idea of moving through a hierarchical system of abstractions and back to the original point. The name for the conference was chosen both because it is held in the St. Louis area known as the "Loop" and also to evoke the idea of self-reflection. Playing with the idea of "strange loop" will lead you to things like Escher, Möbius strips, Klein bottles, impossible structures, quines, Shepard tones, and the like.