Thanks for all the great designs so far. We've decided that we want to discourage hearts and flowers or sensuality. We want to avoid images of couples or holding hands. We want all races and genders to feel welcome. This is a serious book about a challenging subject. We want the potential reader to feel safe and comfortable. We want to provide the impression of reliability and competence. It seems that we mostly like the designs that are based on a simple clarity. Most images seem to present a chance for misinterpretation or clash with the goals of our book.
Notes on the text:
*The title will be the eye-catcher and curiousity inducer and should be large and clear. It's important that the "and" (or "&") should not be too small or stylized. It could even be emphasized.
*The subtitle should be nearby (above or below) and easily read as this will explain the connection hinted at by the title.
*Once the buyer has picked up the book, the blurb should be clear and easily read to provide additional information.
*Our names could be at the very top or bottom (its okay if the names are overlooked) but should not be too small. Our names won't sell the book but we are proud of it. Thanks.
True Wind Publishing
Title: Love and Pornography [or "Love & Pornography"] [sized to be read from ten feet]
Subtitle: Dealing with Porn and Saving Your Relationship [sized to be read from three feet]
Cover blurb: A brave couple reveals their struggles with pornography and discovers a path to open their hearts and deepen their love, joy and trust. [sized to be read in hand]
Authors: Valerie and Greg Hartman [sized to be read from three feet]
The book will be 6"x9" trade paperback in color. The design should be clear when reduced to 88 x 133 pixels for online bookstores.
This contest is for a design concept only. The concept will be used to create the final book cover design. The winner must convey all rights to the design to True Wind Publishing. The final cover designer could be by the winner or by another professional designer to be determined by TWP.
We may also elect to award prizes for alternate designs at one-half the contest amount with the same terms as above.
- A style that presents the title, subtitle and blurb with a simple clarity.
- The final design should be provided in various formats for use in design and other software (.jpg, .png, etc.)
- Make sure the "and" or "&" is not too small or stylized so that it could be missed on the first view of the cover. Maybe even emphasize it.Suggestions for consideration (but not limiting):
- "Love" could be a warm color in a flowing script.
- "Pornography" could be a dark color in block text.
- The color scheme should be warm and inviting, perhaps parchment background.
- We do not want sensual, suggestive or graphic images.
- We do not want harsh or trendy colors.
- We do not want images of couples or holding hands.