First, a note:
It seems natural, and easy, to add a coffee bean into any kind of coffee company logo. We want to stand out, so please impress us by showing us designs *without* a coffee bean.
The main idea our logo should provide:
"Bringing together the old-world craftsmanship with new-world technology"
** Logo **
- RoastLog bridges the gap between old-school, analog artistry (roasters know from experience and "feel" and sound and sight how to roast a bean) and modern technology, which records data that can be analyzed and referred to later. We view this product as an aid to the art of coffee roasting, not as something that snubs the art in favor of a purely scientific approach.
- RoastLog is an "end to end" solution, which in our case means tying inventory, roast profiling and cupping (tasting) together and putting all that information online in a way that allows our customers to see, and analyze, how they've roasted their coffee in the past.
- All of our users data will be stored online, "in the cloud". This idea is far from new, but to our knowledge, nobody has done this in the specialty coffee world. So, the "cloud computing" theme could possibly be worked in somehow.
- analog working with, not against digital technology
- This is a great 7 minute short on coffee roasting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvO5QiIemlg See the notebooks in that video? That's the data our software will be collecting and storing for these folks.
** Icon **
Because there is software that is installed on users computers (either Mac or PC), the logo we accept should easily transition into a desktop icon.