The existing icon is very distinctive and really stands out in the app store. This is a good thing. To see what I mean, spot the egg in this image: http://imgur.com/JQPVI
What I like about the current icon:
- Very distinctive shape stands out from all of the essentially-circular or square icons.
- The large egg contrasts sharply with the background.
- The egg is (roughly) coloured like an egg. People look at it, and recognise it as an egg.
What I don't like about the current icon (hence this contest):
- The egg is shaped more like an oval, not a proper egg shape.
- The design is simplistic and lacks subtle detail and "polish".
- No reference to maps in the icon (not a big deal, but it would be nice).
Requirements for the new icon:
- Must have a big prominent egg.
- The egg must be natural colour (i.e. not white).
- Icon MUST be simple in design. I don't want a highly-detailed work of art unless the detail is very subtle.
- MUST be very easy to identify from other icons at very small sizes (e.g. in a folder on an iPad's home screen). Remove detail at smaller sizes.
- MUST look good at all of the iPad icon sizes listed at: http://developer.apple.com/library/…mages.html (i.e. last 2 columns, including the app store icon sizes, but excluding the launch image sizes).
I'll consider variations on the egg theme (fried egg, hatching egg) if they are very good. But I will prefer designs that allow my (thousands of) existing users to recognise the icon (i.e. polish and add subtle detail to the existing icon).
Please follow these guidelines at the following link, keeping in mind that it's an iPad-only app (no iPhone or iPod versions will be made) and that I don't need launch images or newsstand icons: